Rady Children’s Hospital serves San Diego, Imperial and Southern Riverside counties. It is the only dedicated pediatric trauma center in the region and the largest children’s hospital in California.
Rady Children’s has many specialized pediatric treatment programs and pediatric specialists who can help diagnosis and treat rare conditions in children. For this reason, many patients travel long distances to seek treatment and second opinions at Rady Children’s.
While the treatment is covered by many insurance plans, travel expenses are not covered. Careful planning is required to minimize the travel costs. If the cost of medical travel is a financial burden for your family, please review our article on free and discounted medical transportation options.
Be sure to look below for:
- A Ronald McDonald House Location at Rady Children’s for families who cannot afford lodging
- Hotels that offer discounts for Rady Children’s patients
Getting to Rady Children’s Hospital San Diego
Travel by Air
If you need to fly to Rady Children’s Hospital, the closest airport to Rady Children’s with commercial service is San Diego’s Lindbergh Field (SAN).
Transportation from the airport to Rady Children’s
Rady Children’s Hospital is about 10 miles from the San Diego Airport and should take about 30 minutes. The address of the hospital is 3020 Children’s Way, San Diego, CA 92123.
- Uber and Lyft are convenient options for local transportation. Click on the links to sign up with one or both of these services before your trip. You will need to have a mobile smart phone with internet access and a major credit card to use rideshare services.
- If you need medical transport, for example, wheelchair transportation, you can contact San Diego Metropolitan Transit for information about medical vans.
- Cabs are also available at the airport.
Use the San Diego Metropolitan Transit Trip Planner to plan ground transportation around Rady Children’s. The address of the hospital is 3020 Children’s Way, San Diego, CA 92123.
From the San Diego airport to Rady Children’s Hospital on public transportation will take about 1 1/2 hours. You can use this link to get the travel instructions.
Before making a journey to Rady Children’s Hospital, familiarize yourself with the bus and train schedules. Have a detailed route map of the roads if you plan to drive to the hospital.
Lodging Options for Rady Children’s Hospital
The Ronald McDonald House is available to any family with a seriously ill child being treated at the Hospital, regardless of their ability to pay. Located across the street from our Acute Care Pavilion, the facility is open to families 24 hours a day.
In addition, Rady Children’s maintains a directory of nearby hotels on their website, some of which offer discounts to patients and shuttle services to the hospital as well.